
TOKYO (AFP) - Former Japan striker Kazuyoshi Miura, who turns 52 next month, has extended his record as the J-League's oldest player after renewing his contract with Yokohama FC, the club said.
The veteran footballer, admiringly nicknamed "King Kazu" for his spirited on-field style, will kick off his 34th career season this year, the second division club announced on Friday (Jan 11).
"I thank fans for supporting me all the time," Miura said in a brief statement.
"I want to work out at full stretch every day... and play as many games as possible by making every minute count."
In 2017, Miura surpassed football's previous professional longevity record and became the oldest player to score a competitive goal in a professional match. Both records were previously held by English legend Stanley Matthews.
Last year he played nine games for Yokohama but failed to score.
Miura left Japan for Brazil in 1982 and signed a contract with Santos FC in 1986 to make his professional debut.
He made his Japan debut in 1990 and pushed for the country's first ever World Cup appearance in 1998 but failed to join the final squad for France despite scoring 55 goals in 89 games for the national side.
He was one of the stars of the professional J-League at its 1993 launch before joining Italy's Genoa on loan the following year.
Miura, who has played for Yokohama since 2005, has said he wants to play on until he turns 60.
Yokohama lost in the first division play-offs last year. Their 2019 season kicks off on February 24.

Man Utd miss out on top four after draw at Huddersfield 3 weeks ago Manchester United will have to settle for Europa League football next season after being held by a Huddersfield side who were relegated in March.
Man Utd Miss Out On Top Four After Draw At Huddersfield

Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus will not travel to the US for the pre-season International Champions Cup in the summer, avoiding fears the star forward could be arrested over rape claims in the country.
Juve to avoid US pre-season amid Ronaldo rape claims - report

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 29, 2019, with the headline 'Norwich and Sheffield promoted to EPL'. Print Edition | Subscribe.
Norwich promoted to EPL after 3-year absence | FOX Sports

With Tottenham's title hopes coming to an end last week as Spurs failed to win any of their last three Premier League games against Burnley, Chelsea and Arsenal, the Champions League represents Spurs' only chance of landing some silverware this season.
Pochettino suggests leaving Spurs if they conquer Europe

Football: Qatar players cleared in eligibility row just before Asian Cup final against four-time champs Japan. Feb 1, 2019, 9:55 pm. Eligibility row no concern for Qatar. Feb 1, 2019, 5:00 am
Asian Cup 2019 UAE - worldfootball.net

Football: Ikhsan Fandi determined to step out of dad Fandi Ahmad's shadow and succeed in Norway stint Ikhsan Fandi tells us what his favourite local breakfast is, whether he has a girlfriend, and
Fandi's second son Ikhsan wants to step out of dad's shadow

The Reds moved back to the top of the table with a comprehensive 5-0 victory over relegated Huddersfield, with Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah each bagging a brace following Naby Keita's opener
Reds are '10 games from greatness' whether Klopp admits it or

The goalscorer was Wu Lei, a national hero for football fans in China. And he had just become the first Chinese player to score in La Liga, in a game watched by an estimated live television
Wu Lei (footballer) - Wikipedia

Former Manchester United boss Ron Atkinson feels the club do not need to make a decision over Ole Gunnar Solskjaer now. X Former Man Utd Boss On Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Permanent Manager Calls.
Arsenal legend calls for Solskjaer to drop De Gea - futaa.com

Harry Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes Racist chanting was directed at several black England players, during Monday's Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro. Share Via Email
Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes - sports.yahoo.com

If Spurs want to challenge for the title they must win when the play against them. Last weekend they failed to do so. it is not about the way Spiurs played or about their formation at Vicarage Road. Pochettino's team have had enough bodies in the midfield and they should have restricted Watford to fewer chances.
Tottenham's Pochettino comes away empty handed again
0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen