Pages

Football: British rescuers launch bid to recover body from Sala's plane

Football: British rescuers launch bid to recover body from Sala's plane

LONDON (AFP) - British crash investigators on Tuesday (Feb 5) launched an underwater operation to recover a body from the wreckage of the plane carrying Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala in the Channel.
"We are attempting to recover the body. If we are successful, we will consider the feasibility of recovering the aircraft wreckage," an Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) spokesman said in a statement.
The light aircraft carrying the 28-year-old footballer and pilot David Ibbotson to his new Premier League team Cardiff City disappeared near the British island of Guernsey on Jan 21.
The shipwreck hunter hired by Sala's family with the help of funds donated by football stars such as Lionel Messi found the plane wreckage on Sunday.
The AAIB has since taken over operations.
It revealed on Monday that an unidentified body had been found at the site.
But it warned on Tuesday that strong tides "mean we can only use the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) for limited periods each day".

Body found in Sala plane wreckage, AAIB confirm

"Regardless of the results, we will not be making a further statement until the families have been informed," it said.

'TECHNICALLY POSSIBLE'


Shipwreck hunter David Mearns had earlier warned that "time is of the essence" in an underwater operation like the one being launched by Britain off France's northern coast.
"As tragic as the loss is, it's made much, much worse if the body is never recovered or (the family) never get an answer to what happened," Mearns said.
"Finding it is just the starting point. The AAIB has got to investigate it."

 
 
 
Sala was flying to join up with Cardiff from his old French team Nantes.
His signing was the most expensive in the Welsh club's history and marked what fans had hoped would be a turning point in its bid to avoid relegation from England's top division.
Mearns said his discovery of two seat cushions on the French coast last week revealed that the plane had broken up.
"It's in one area (on the seabed), it's all one mass, but some bits may not be connected. So what you don't want to do is to disturb the body in a way that you lose it," he said.
Sala's family raised more than €370,000 (S$570,000) in an online campaign to pay for the private search.
"Had that not happened, I don't think anybody would have searched for the plane," Mearns said.
"We were told by the AAIB that they didn't feel that there was much to be gained," he said.
The AAIB ended up chartering a ship to join Mearns on Sunday.
He said recovery was now "technically possible - the water depth isn't an issue really, and the weather can be managed with the right ship".
"It's a matter of will to do it," he added.



Youngest local SPL Coach, 33, unfazed. Feb 9, 2019, 5:00 am. premium. Football: Age is just a number for Balestier Khalsa's Khidhir Khamis, youngest local coach in SPL at 33. Feb 8, 2019, 9:53 pm.
Marko Kraljevic, Analyst at Larrain Vial SA Corredora de



West Ham leave it late to see off spirited Huddersfield | Euronews March 16 (Reuters) - WEST HAM UNITED 4 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 3 Substitute Javier Hernandez scored a late brace including a stoppage-time winner to help. Soccer Football - Premier League - West Ham United v Huddersfield Town - London Stadium, London , Britain - March 16, 2019 West
West Ham leave it late to see off spirited Huddersfield - The



Real Madrid are reportedly closing in on Lyon's Ferland Mendy, who could become their second signing of the summer. Real Madrid close in on €50m Mendy All the talk around Atletico Madrid
La Liga transfer news: all change at Barcelona, Atletico



Newcastle United's prospects of remaining in the Premier League were given a huge boost as Ayoze Perez's first-half header secured a crucial win against Leicester City at King Power Stadium. Salomon Rondon fired a long-range free-kick against the crossbar for the visitors in an early warning for



Thierry Henry was suspended by Monaco on Thursday and looked set to lose his job as coach after only three months in charge at the Ligue 1 club.
Thierry Henry set to lose AS Monaco job after being suspended


Missed chance for Reds, Football News & Top Stories - The



Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang shot to the top of the Premier League scoring charts with two goals in Saturday's 3-1 home win over struggling Burnley, returning his side to winning ways
Aubameyang brace gives Arsenal win over Burnley | Reuters.com



Former Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte is the new Inter Milan manager.. Following heavy speculation, it was announced on Friday that the Italian tactician has officially replaced Luciano Spalletti in the dugout as the Nerazzurri look to challenge Juventus for the Serie A title next season.



Football: Former Lion Kadir Yahaya joins Tampines Rovers as adviser, to guide coach-in-waiting Gavin Lee
Latest KADIR YAHAYA | The Straits Times



MANCHESTER, United Kingdom (AFP) - Pep Guardiola wants the pain of Manchester City's gut-wrenching Champions League elimination at the hands of Tottenham Hotspur to inspire a charge for an
Guardiola hopes Champions League pain spurs on Manchester



Football: Guardiola predicts roller-coaster title run-in after Liverpool blip MANCHESTER, England (REUTERS) - Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola believes critics have been too quick to write off his side's chances of defending the Premier League crown, and he expects more twists and turns in the title race.
Guardiola predicts roller-coaster title run-in after



Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's instant impact as Manchester United interim manager continued in his first home game in charge as two goals from Paul Pogba helped his team secure a 3-1 win over Huddersfield.
Pogba strikes twice as Man United win on Solskjaer home bow



Liverpool could match Arsenal's Invincibles by going through a Premier League season without defeat, according to Unai Emery. Liverpool can be Invincibles, says Emery. a result that
Emery thinks Liverpool can emulate Arsenal's 'Invincibles


Football: New FAS technical director Joseph Palatsides



A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 10, 2019, with the headline 'Sterling gets van Dijk's vote for PFA award'. Print Edition | Subscribe.
Sterling gets Van Dijk's vote for PFA player of the year

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen